AWS offers a variety of exciting and progressive classes for dogs of all ages, breeds and abilities!
- Basic Obedience: For any dog older than 5 months, this six-week course is the foundation for all future training courses and teaches socialization, concentration and confidence building. You’ll learn canine communication skills and how to teach your dog to walk on a loose leash and how to avoid distraction. Commands taught include sit, stay, heel, down and come.
- Puppy Gym Class: For dogs 5 months or younger, Puppy Gym Class (also known as Puppy Kindergarten) is a six-week program using positive reinforcement to teach socialization, training, activity and responsibility through FUN activities and games. Some puppies are even able pick up simple commands.
- Confidence for Shy Dogs: Timid and unsure dogs are perfect students for this course. You’ll learn what causes canine fear and anxiety, how to assess your dog’s body language and stress level and how to help your dog feel more comfortable. Exercises in class help boost confidence in shy pups.
BEYOND THE BASICS SERIES:
- Beyond the Basics w/ Agility: This six-week class is a great opportunity for graduates to continue the fun and training from Basic Obedience class to maintain and grow skills. Activities include tricks, targeting, field trips, off-leash work and agility. Dogs enjoy overcoming agility obstacles such as jumps, tires, tunnels, and A Frames. This class is fun for the whole family!
- K9 Nose Work: All dogs have a natural scenting ability. This class, taught by a Certified Nose Works instructor, teaches you fun ways to bring out the best in your dog’s sniffer.
- Circus Fun: In this entertaining class, dogs learn tricks using equipment such as hula hoops. Owners might even don a red clown nose to get in on the fun!
AKC TITLE COURSES:
- AKC Canine Good Citizen: Over the six-week course, your dog will prepare for the ten-point AKC Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certification test. Dogs learn advanced commands and practice positive behaviors such as walking through a crowd, accepting a friendly stranger and positively reacting to another dog.
- AKC Urban Canine Good Citizen: Like the standard Canine Good Citizen class, during this class, dogs train towards a ten-point test, administered in the final class. This class focuses on demonstrating CGC skills (and more!) in an urban city-like setting. It’s a fun way to get out-and-out and learn new skills.
- AKC Tricks Class: In this six-week course, dogs have fun learning new tricks, such as bark on cue, push-ups, high five, spin in a circle and more. This class is a great way to build body awareness and provide a great physical and mental stimulation for your pooch. Dogs can earn the AKC Novice Trick Dog Title after mastering 10 tricks.
- Drop In Puppy Social Hour: If your puppy is younger than 6 months and no more than 25 pounds, please stop by the AWS Obedience Classroom for an hour of fun socialization. The program runs from 10 am – 11 am. AWS’ trainers will be on hand to facilitate and provide training information. $12/hour. No advance registration needed. See our Training page for dates of sessions.
Ready to sign up? Check out our current class schedule and register online.
Why take canine training classes?
- Provide a solid foundation for your dog’s growth and development. Classes teach dogs how to interact with people, including members of your family and strangers. Dogs learn manners around other animals, including family pets. Dogs, from the youngest puppy to the most distinguished senior, can benefit from training classes.
- Bond with your companion. Classes are just as much for people as they are for pets. Training classes teach you and your human family members many important skills Dog owners learn how to identify and react to common dog behaviors by understanding how dogs think. Training together builds trust and enhances your relationship between you and your pooch.
- Teach your dog social norms in new environments. Dogs learn essential skills for navigating new environments such as how to walk on a leash, how to greet guests and strangers, and how to come when called. Trained dogs can participate more fully in social functions by being present at kids’ sporting events, attending family holiday celebrations and taking part in outdoor activities like sledding, cross country skiing, jogging or just exploring the neighborhood. A trained dog is part of the family!
- Experience fun new activities together. Training opens up a new world for you and your dog, one you might never have considered. Classes provide dogs with the skills and training to do agility trials, AKC Rally obedience, tracking, search and rescue, water rescue trials, reading programs, and therapy work – just to name a few. There are plenty of amazingly fun and philanthropic activities you and your dog can do together!
- Have fun! Simply put, you and your pooch will love training classes.
Why train with AWS?
AWS training classes have some unique benefits, particularly for adopted pets. Our trainers are tops in their field and bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to the classes.
- Certification: The trainers at AWS have the Certified Professional Dog Trainer-Knowledge Assessed (CPDT-KA) designation. Each CPDT-KA trainer has amassed 300+ hours of experience, professional references and has passed a comprehensive examination that tests the trainer’s knowledge of learning theory, canine ethology, animal husbandry, classroom management, teaching techniques and more.
- Experience with Rescue Dogs: Our trainers work with rescue dogs on a daily basis, learning their unique traits and understanding their individual needs. They share what they’ve learned over the years in classes and during private consultation.
- Familiarity with AWS Dogs: Our trainers teach shelter dog training class weekly. Nearly every dog at AWS attends. If you’ve recently adopted an AWS pet, why not continue building that foundation with the trainers who know and understand your dog?
- Private Consultations & On-Call Assistance: Our trainers can provide one-on-one time with you and your dog. Private consultations (either at your home, during office hours at AWS or via telephone) can help you identify the causes of your dog’s negative behaviors and learn new skills to keep you and your pup living happily together!
Because we often have wait lists for classes, in order to guarantee your spot, full payment must be received at least one week prior to the start date. If payment is not received, we reserve the right to fill your spot within seven days of the first class.
We accept checks (dropped off or mailed to AWS) or credit cards.
There is a $25 service fee for registration cancellation, if you cancel more than 7 days from the start of the class. If you have to cancel less than one week prior to the start of the program, all fees are non-refundable and will result in a donation of the total fee to AWS. If AWS has to cancel a program, the we will issue a full refund. Note: Classes may be cancelled due to low enrollment.
Follow the AWS Teachers’ Pets on Facebook. You don’t want to miss the interesting tidbits on training your pup, fun anecdotes from our training classes and pictures of our graduations!
AWS is closed for adoptions and visits on Wednesdays. However, training classes still take place.