featuring Cha Cha!
The weather is cooling down and there’s a crispness in the air. Say goodbye to muggy heat and mosquitos and hello to more opportunities for hiking with your canine companion! But before you just grab the leash and go, there are a few safety procedures and important items that you should have before you head into the great outdoors with your dog. Remember, it’s always better to be safe than sorry!
- Choose a trail or hiking spot that is an appropriate fit for you and your dog. Take into account your dog’s hiking experience, age, physical ability, and breed.
- Always check the weather before heading out on a hike. Do some research beforehand and try to determine if there will be storms, high winds, or when the sun will set. Weather can change quickly, so make sure to periodically check for updates.
- Hike near areas with good cell reception. In case there ever is an emergency or you need to contact someone, you’ll want to make sure to have reliable communication.
- Always tell a friend, family member, or neighbor where you will be going. Post it on social media as well so someone will always know where you are. Try to give a general time of when you and your pup will return.
- A good source of information for finding the perfect dog-friendly hiking spots is BringFido and Dogster. These sites provide very specific information and helpful tips on hiking safety with your furry friend.
- Just like we did with resident dog Cha Cha, you can track and record your pup’s progress on AllTrails. It’s always fun to see how far you can go!
Make sure to write out a checklist of all the necessary items you will need to have a fun and safe hike with your canine companion.
▢ Snacks, Water, & Utensils (for you and your dog!)
▢ First-Aid Kit (with dog-friendly medication and supplies)
▢ A Flashlight
▢ Compact Dog Bowl for Water
▢ Dog Collar with Leash & Tags
▢ Identification (for you & your dog)
▢ Poop Bags
▢ Weather Appropriate Clothing (for you & your dog)
Hiking with your dog can be a lot of fun, but it also requires some research and consideration. Being prepared will ensure that you and your canine companion remain safe, healthy, and ready for a good day of hiking!
Are you an avid hiker? Perhaps a jogger, or a runner? ChaCha the dog could be the companion for you! She is up for adoption now and ready to find her happy home!