Lost and Found Pets
If you have found a lost or stray pet, please call us at (207) 985-3244. We also encourage you to contact your local animal control officer.
After you have filled out the form:
- Call your local Animal Control Officer (ACO) through your town’s non-emergency police phone number or by looking up the number here. Many dogs and cats are quickly picked up by town Animal Control Officers or by concerned citizens and are brought to AWS. ACOs have 24/7 access to AWS so your pet will be safe indoors once dropped off. AWS Staff arrive by 8 am and check for stray pets first thing. Dogs are held for 6 days, while cats are only held for 48 hours, as required by state law. After their hold period, pets are prepared to go up for adoption.
- Submit a lost dog/cat report on Facebook to Maine Lost Dog Recovery/Maine Lost Cat Recovery.
- Check FindRover.com for local listings of lost and found pets.
- Make flyers for your neighborhood.
- Share your pet’s photo and information to your community’s local FB groups.
- If your pet is microchipped, call the company to report it lost. They may have resources to help.
- Read these other suggestions on how to help bring your pet home.
Claiming Your Pet at AWS
We’re glad we were able to care for your lost pet right here at AWS! We love happy reunions. We do not charge a fee to claim your pet, though donations are always welcomed. Some towns we contract with for animal control services also charge impound fees, which we will collect at time of claim and send to your town, or can be paid at your city/town hall prior to picking up your pet at AWS.